Dr. Forsbacka received his Ph.D. in nuclear engineering from the University of Virginia and his B.S. and M.E. degrees, also in nuclear engineering, from the University of Florida. He is currently a Senior Executive at the U.S. Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board (DNFSB) where he leads a group of engineers performing nuclear safety oversight of Department of Energy Office of Environmental Management high-level radioactive waste management, nuclear materials stabilization, and nuclear materials disposition and storage activities. In his nearly 30 years of professional experience, Dr. Forsbacka has served in a variety of leadership positions in nuclear-related science and technology to include:
- Deputy Assistant Director, Domestic Nuclear Detection Office (Department of Homeland Security) for Human Portable Radiation Detection Systems
- Program Executive for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Director (Acting), Project Prometheus (space nuclear power development program), NASA
- Site Representative, Y-12 National Security Site, DNFSB
- Technical Specialist, Nuclear Weapons Group, DNFSB
- Nuclear Research Officer, US Air Force
Dr. Forsbacka's research and teaching interests are in reactor physics and design, nuclear safety, and nuclear waste management. He has participated in the ENPM program as a lecturer since 2012.