Clayton, John D.
Dr. John Clayton has over 15 years of experience with finite element analysis, including modeling of complex nonlinear and dynamic problems and code development. In addition to his role as lecturer at the University of Maryland, Dr. Clayton is employed full-time at the US Army Research Laboratory (ARL) at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. As group/team leader in multi-scale mechanics and impact physics, he conducts innovative research in mechanics of solids and oversees or mentors junior scientists, post-doctoral scholars, and graduate students.
Dr. Clayton has authored two books and around 70 archival journal articles on various topics in mechanics, physics, materials science, and applied mathematics. He serves on the editorial boards of six technical journals and has been an active member of the American Academy of Mechanics, the American Physical Society, and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Honors include the Baltimore Federal Executive Board Career Silver Medal (2016), the Army Special Act Award (2014), twice the ARL Award for Publication of the Year (2011, 2017), five ARL Director’s Research Initiative Awards (during the period 2004-2014), the National Research Council post-doctoral fellowship (2003), and the National Science Foundation graduate fellowship (1998). Dr. Clayton served as a visiting senior research fellow at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences in New York in Spring of 2016 and at Columbia University in New York in Fall of 2016. He was elected as a Fellow of the Army Research Laboratory in 2016 and as a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 2017.
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2002
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1999
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University, 1997
Mechanics, physics, materials science, applied mathematics
ENPM 652 Applied Finite Element Analysis
- J.D. Clayton. Nonlinear Mechanics of Crystals. Springer, Dordrecht, 2011 (Paperback edition 2013).
- J.D. Clayton. Differential Geometry and Kinematics of Continua. World Scientific, Singapore, 2014.
- J.D. Clayton. Dynamic plasticity and fracture in high density polycrystals: constitutive modeling and numerical simulation. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 53:261–301, 2005.
- J.D. Clayton. A continuum description of nonlinear elasticity, slip and twinning, with application to sapphire. Proceedings of the Royal Society (London) A 465:307–334, 2009.
- J.D. Clayton, P.W. Chung. An atomistic-to-continuum framework for nonlinear crystal mechanics based on asymptotic homogenization. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 54:1604–1639, 2006.
- J.D. Clayton, J. Knap. A phase field model of deformation twinning: nonlinear theory and numerical simulations. Physica D 240:841–858, 2011.
- J.D. Clayton, J.J. Rencis. Numerical integration in the axisymmetric finite element formulation. Advances in Engineering Software 31:137–141, 2000.