For more information contact:
We recognize that technical experts working in Cybersecurity have diverse academic and professional backgrounds. Therefore, our admissions requirements allow for diversity but also must ensure that qualified students are prepared to succeed in this highly technical academic program. We offer three levels of admission depending upon the academic background, academic performance, and professional experience of the applicant. Please note that three letters of recommendation (preferably professional letters) are required for admission.
- Prerequisite requirement: ENEE 150 or equivalent.
- Further admissions requirements.
- Full Admission: applicants must have a bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or Physics, from an accredited institution, with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Provisional Admission: applicants who have a degree in a closely related field of study (i.e. Information Technology, Information Assurance, Computer Information Systems), and a GPA of 3.0 or better must also possess at least one (1) of the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, GIAC GSEC, or Certified Ethical Hacker certification. Applicants admitted with Provisional Admission will need to complete two core courses with at least a B or better in each course.
- Advanced Special Student Admission: applicants with a bachelor’s degree in other fields of study, closely related to Information Technology, Information Assurance, or Computer Information Systems, with a minimum 3.0 GPA, one of the above mentioned certifications, and 2+ years of post-graduate work experience in IT or a related field. To qualify for this admission, applicants must submit a detailed description of their technical work experience as a personal statement attached to the Supplementary Application section of the application. Applicants admitted as Advanced Special Students will need to complete two core courses with at least a B or better in each course in order to be considered for Provisional Admission later on. Note: Advanced Special Student Admission admission option is based on each individual's application.
Learn more about University level efforts in research and education in Cybersecurity. MC2 is unique in its comprehensive approach to cybersecurity education, research and technology development, stressing "more-than-tech," interdisciplinary solutions. MC2 brings together experts from computer science and engineering with colleagues from across campus in fields such as economics and the social sciences to establish broad-based cybersecurity initiatives. UMD ranks among the top 20 public research universities in the nation. NSA designated the University of Maryland as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Research. The University of Maryland was also named an Intelligence Community "Center of Academic Excellence" by the Department of Homeland Security.